Re: frozen Midget brake adjusters

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: frozen Midget brake adjusters
From: pwcs!phile@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 91 17:42:48 CST
Regarding Midget brake adjusters:

Face it, pal, you're done.  They are not going to respond to any external
coaxing, you have to take it all apart.  Remove the brake drum.  Remove the
brake shoes.  Jack up the end of the axle so all (well, most) the gear lube
drains back to the pumpkin.  Take off the bearing nut (left side of car is
left-hand thread!) and pull the halfshaft.  Remove the brake cylinder with
that #$@$%^%#$% circlip that holds it in.  Take off the backing plate and
either soak it in boiling WD-40 for four years or use it for a frisbee.
(Joke alert!  Don't try to boil WD-40 and then sue me when you burn your
garage down.)  Seriously, when this happened to me, I was lucky enough to
find a backing plate in my junkpile, er, Spares Bins, that had an adjuster
which could be made to function.  I disassembled it (as I recall the screw
itself is captive) and lubed it all up good to stave off a re-occurrence.  By
the way, air conditioning technicians use square box wrenches, so you can get
a tool that fits at your local SERIOUS tool dealer.

Phil Ethier
THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN   55107-2676
home:  (612) 224-3105        work:  (612) 298-5324
electronic mail:  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov  or  uiucuxc!pwcs!phile
It's Hip to be Octagonal.
.But sometimes it is a HELL of a lot of work.

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324