Re- Stuck Brakes

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re- Stuck Brakes
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 13 Feb 91 18:10:23
GatorMail-Q                   Re: Stuck Brakes
--------- quoted text ------
Grease in brakes?  I've always believed that you should never put any oil,
grease, etc. on brake components.  When I replaced my rear brake shoes, I
simply
cleaned everything with metho. (probably the cleanest part of the car
;-) before
reassembly.
----------  end of quote -------

      Seems to me that the actuator cams would profit from a bit of "points
lube".  Any grease that won't fly off a bit turning at camshaft speed surely
won't come off the cams!

        - Jerry Kaidor

p.s.  I suppose you don't put any grease on your wheel bearings either....  :^)

p.p.s.  I have a rear brake on my VW Bus that I've never changed for the same
         reason ( stuck adjuster ).  One day it'll just stop working and I'll
       have to apply atomic
         power to pull the drum off the shoes.  Well, actually, I don't think
         there's any self-adjuster, so maybe by that time it'll just slip off.