Re: Stuck Brakes

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Stuck Brakes
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 91 12:26:57 +1100
>I too wanted to avoid breaking or striping the adjuster, so what I did was
>to take everything apart first.  I found that once the break shoes were off,
>I could take out the little adjuster pieces that the shoes rest against and
>be down to just the adjuster itself.  Then I put liquid wrench on it from

I thought that you had to release the brakes first, then remove the drum, etc.
At least, I've never been able to remove the drum without slackening the shoe
adjusters first (and even then it can be a bit tricky to get off).

>have wanted to bind up and I would get nowhere.  Once I had the adjuster screw
>loose, I put a little grease on all the adjuster parts and put it all back
>together, and Vola!  Rear brakes that are EASY to adjust!

Grease in brakes?  I've always believed that you should never put any oil,
grease, etc. on brake components.  When I replaced my rear brake shoes, I simply
cleaned everything with metho. (probably the cleanest part of the car ;-) before
reassembly.

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |