MG turn sigs, fuel pump and trip report

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: MG turn sigs, fuel pump and trip report
From: hertzber@spot.Colorado.EDU (HERTZBERG JEAN R)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 18:19:04 -0700
I've also been having trouble with the turn signals on my '68 MGB. By
manually working the turn signal lever, I can make all the
appropriate lights work; ergo I want to replace the flasher doodad. I
have a new one, I know what it looks like, but I can't find the old
one! I thought it was down by the emergency flasher switch, or stuck
up on the firewall somewhere, but it's not. Anybody got a clue for me?

I also had to replace my ancient SU fuel pump this weekend. It had
become unreliable (it's the same one that came with the car 10 years
ago, so I consider myself lucky).All I could come up with on short
notice was an all plastic generic model from New Zealand, brand name
Ecco or somesuch. It fit just fine, but the pressure seems a bit high
for my 4 year old floats and needle valves. Has anyone else had
experience with this pump?

A few weeks ago I promised Kirk B. an account of our cross country
trip from LA to Boulder in the B and the Rancheroo. It was blessedly
dull. The first car stoppage was east of Anza Borrego when the rag top
on the B decided to become truly ragged. With the help of the grommet
kit that I'd gotten for the Roo tarp I was able to lace things back
together, but as you may recall there were some cold storms in the
southwest over New Year's. The foot heater (all the B has) worked
pretty well when augmented with hats and scarves above.

The only other problem was when the headlight switch on the Rancheroo
went out. It being an American Car we were able to easily pick up a
real replacement at a generic parts shop in Alburquerque (sp?) at 7
pm on a Saturday.

With a little altitude tuning along the way we made it in 2.5 days,
(three drivers and one night's sleep) and beat the moving truck by 5
hours. At 75 mph my mileage was a mediocre 25 mpg. Now that we're
here, both cars have turned cranky but so what? Everything's within
walking distance and I now have a nice heated barn to make repairs in
at my leisure. What a switch from that filthy street in LA!

- Jean (Ain't nevah goin back) hertzber@spot.colorado.edu