Re: Alignment (again)

To: british-cars%encore.com@munnari.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Alignment (again)
From: s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.OZ.AU (John Taylor [The Banshee])
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 91 08:55:58 +1100
>Get a carpenter's level.  You want one which is slightly shorter
>than your wheel size (e.g. on my 13" rims a 12" level works okay).
>Rest the bottom of the level against some repeatable part of the
>wheel (like the bottom of the outside edge of the rim, but you'll
>need different techniques with some wheels).  Now swing the level
>(without losing contact with the wheel) until it's exactly vertical.
>Using a caliper (you can use a ruler, but a caliper is much easier)
>measure the distance from the level to the wheel.  Now you have your
>camber in inches.  Some trigonometry can give you the camber in
>degrees, if that's what you want.

Pardon my ignorance, but which is positive camber?  \ /  or / \ (wheels viewed
from the front of the car).  My Moke's wheel currently look like the first
picture (although not quite as bad!), whereas most racing cars have the second
camber type.  Also, how can you measure castor, and how do you adjust it (if
this is a possible task) ?

Thanks in advance

|   John Taylor  [The Banshee]         Victoria University of Technology     |
|  s883351@minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au    (Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology) |
|   MOKING IS A HEALTH HAZARD.          Melbourne, Victoria, AUSTRALIA       |