Re: BMC turn sig. (&folding top)

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: BMC turn sig. (&folding top)
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 91 15:46:47 EST
        From: dstone@sc9.intel.com (D. STONE 5-9521, BPR: 237-2322")
        Subject: BMC turn signals

>> Yes Virgina, it is possible for a flasher unit
>>   to fail in such a way as to leave one side working and the other not.<

>     This I'd like to know about, that is no flasher I've
>     ever seen can differentiate between whether it is
>     interrupting the voltage flow to the left side of the
>     car or the right. All I've seen are upstream of the
>     switch, and only when the switch is closed does the
>     relay switch out, and then it is the switch that is
>     directing which bulb the relay is affecting. Altho' I'd
>     put nothing past British electrics !

That's the way it seemed to work to me too.  Anyway, in my case, it was not
flasher at all, or the bulb, or the switch.  It is the stupid little light
on the dash that doesn't work, the turn signal itself does work, as do the
hazard lights.  Oh well, that's what I get for listening to the former owner.

>                              cheers-
>                                     dstone@sc9.intel.com

Bob Jones
bobj@meaddata.com

P.S.  What is the proper way to fold the top on an MGB?  The Bentley manual
says to fold it foward over the top frame, but yesterday I tried this, but
I couldn't get it to work right (yes it was only 41 out, but it was sunny
and I had fun :-)  What I ended up doing was rolling the backlight up under
the frame and then over so that I was able to  hook the retaining bar on
the hooks on the trunk.  Is this how to do it?  It worked fine, but I don't
know.
            Backlight
            --                 Trunk
           |  |      ^