TIRE PRESSURES

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: TIRE PRESSURES
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 91 13:49 EST
> First, I got the spark plugs out!  They look pretty good, although there is
> a little carbon coating on them.  This means the carb is a little rich, right?
> How do you make a Weber run more lean?  Different sized jets?

I am assuming that you have the downdraft Weber. To adjust the idle
circuit you use the mixture adjusting screw on the outside of the carb
body.  To adjust the progression circuit you have to set the float level
properly. To do this you have to remove the top cover of the carb, and
set the float level with the carb top held vertically. I forget the
actual settings, but I can get them from the manual if you need. The
main cirrcit is adjusted by changeing the jets. Most of the driving is
down on the progressive circuit, therefore I would check the float level,
and then set the idle mixture. When you are adjusting the idle circuit,
make sure that the car is running on the idle circuit and not on the
low end of the progressive circuit. I could get into details, but Weber
produce an excellent book, and it really helped me to understand Weber
carbs.

> The left turn signal doesn't work, but the right one does.  This leads me to

Using a spare bulbs with a couple of wires soldered on, check the that you
have 12V at each of the lamp assemblies. Check for bad earths at each of the
bulbs. If that does not work then, take the switch assemble off the
steering column and try to trace the wiring throught until you
find the fault.

> My last question concerns the speedometer.  It reads high, by at least 15-20%
> although I haven't figured out exactly how much high it is.  I mentioned

It may be a simple case of the speedo cable needing lubrication.

Gerry