RE>Steering questions (73 M

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: RE>Steering questions (73 M
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 7 Feb 91 13:54:21
        Reply to:   RE>Steering questions (73 MGB)
    I believe that MGB's have the same front end as MGA's.  If that is true,
then there is only *ONE* adjustment to a "front end alignment", the toe-in.
This can be done with homemade tools, but again, J.C. Whitney comes to the
rescue with a "toe-in Gauge", which looks like a long straightedge with a
couple of stands, and a right angle at each end.  One right angle is
spring-loaded, and has a dial pointer which reads out toe-in in degrees. This
works OK.  They also have more expensive instruments that look like flat plates
that you drive over.  Has anybody used one of these?  Do they work?

    Once I wanted to relax and let somebody else do the "front end alignment"
on my MGA.  I went to the local "Grand Auto", and they said
"It won't fit on our machine".  I called an alignment shop, and he said "no
problem,  35 dollars.  I looked in the book, discovered how little there was to
align, and did it myself.  Checking is another matter.  If the car handles
badly, everything that gets adjusted on other cars should be checked, as
misadjustments could be caused by a bent frame or suspension parts.

      - Jerry Kaidor