Re: X1/9 and TR7

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: X1/9 and TR7
From: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu <streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 91 09:32:00 -0500

John Taylor writes:

> Are the Fiat X1/9 and the Triumph TR7 simply "badge-engineered" cars, or are
> there significant differences?  From what I've seen, they look exactly the
>same
> and have very similar performance specs (and they both rust ;-)

The similarity in appearance between the TR7 and the X1/9 is not just
a coincidence.  The TR7 was designed to look like the 2-seat
mid-engined sports cars that showed promise at the time.  (Can you say
X1/9?)  However, the similar appearance of the two cars is only that
-- a similarity in appearance.  Beneath the skin, the two cars are
completely different.  Most notably, the X1/9 is mid-engined, while
the TR7 is the traditional front-engine, rear-drive.  When viewed
from anything other than a distance, the two cars are clearly
different.

Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)