Re: Re: X1/9 and TR7

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: Re: X1/9 and TR7
From: brady_p@apollo.com (Chief Constable, Leisure Police)
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 91 08:19:40 EST
John Taylor writes:

>> Are the Fiat X1/9 and the Triumph TR7 simply "badge-engineered" cars, or are
>> there significant differences?  From what I've seen, they look exactly the
>same
>> and have very similar performance specs (and they both rust ;-)

Speaking for the TR7...

The TR7 does not share anything (as I remember) with the other TR's. The
slant-4 2.0 litre SOHC engine came from the Triumph Dolomite, but I believe that
most of the rest of the part were only for the 7's (and of course the TR8). I'm
sure some of the smaller parts are Triumph parts bin also.

If you mean that Fiat and Triumph somehow built two cars from some common design
in the late 1970's, no I don't think so. That sort of thing happens most with
American cars (especially IMHO at GM), although the Saab 9000/Lancia ???/Alfa
164
are all built from a common design; and of course Rover has a love affair with
Honda...

I do admit though that I have a Fiat 124 gas cap on my TR7... It's a long
story... :-)

--pete

J. Peter Brady                              INTERNET: brady_p@apollo.hp.com
PHONE: +1-508-256-6600 extension 7423       HP TELNET: 256-7423

After Feb 8, 1991:
J. Peter Brady
The Santa Cruz Operation                    INTERNET: peteb@sco.com
Burlington, MA                              PHONE: +1-617-937-3051