re: Spitfire camber compensators

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: re: Spitfire camber compensators
From: "George Burgesser @ APD x3676" <mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!apd.MENTOR.COM!georgeb%tessi.uucp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 90 09:14:16 PDT

>       In writing the VTR autocross rules, the question of camber compensators
> has come up. Firstly, owning a car with a real suspension ;=} it does not
>effect
> me and I've no experience with such critters. Personally, I'm in favour of
> making them mandatory for all swing axle cars. Period. But on the other hand,
> this drives up the cost, and it is not something alot of early spits have
> been retrofitted with as far as I can tell. And it may keep folks from trying
> out something they might enjoy. But if they roll their pride and joy they
>really
> won't like it....So the current wording is 'camber compensators are strongly
> reccomended'.
>
>       So my question to Spit owners is: Would you approve of or be opposed
> to a rule requiring camber compensators to run the VTR autocross?
>
>       Please lemme know via e-mail and I'll try to come up with a decent
> solution.
>
>       Thanks,
>               bob

   Two things to consider:

     1) Does the insurance company that covers the event (if there is one)
        have anything to say on the subject?  Chances are they will require
        camber compensators.
     2) At any autox you will have a few novices who do not know the limits
        of their cars.  These are the people who really need the compensators.
        I have seen a swing axle Spit tuck its axel underneath and lose it,
        all it takes is one car rolling over and everyone starts asking why
        the compensators weren't required.  Save yourself a lot of headaches,
        make camber compensators manditory.  If they are only recommended
        the people who need them will be the very people who figure that they
        don't.

    George Burgesser
    georgeb@mntgfx.mentor.com