Returned mail: User unknown

To: <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
From: mit-eddie!flash.bellcore.com!MAILER-DAEMON@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 12:44:05 -0400
<<< 550 <~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com>... User unknown
550 <~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com>... User unknown

   ----- Unsent message follows -----
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Subject: re: TR8 oil filter
To: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl) (W.
H. Sohl)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 9:42:10 PDT
Cc: ccwf.cc.utexas.edu!jtc@bellcore.bellcore.com, ~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com
Oct 2, 90 9:10 pm
Mailer: Elm [revision: 64.9]

| >I'm writing to just the TR8 owners on the british car
| >mailing list first.  This weekend I discovered I've probably
| >been using the wrong size oil filter on my 8(!).  The car
| >came with a Fram PH8A and an extra Motorcraft FL1A so I just
| >assumed that was the correct size.  I do not have an owner's
| >manual and the shop manual I bought from TRF doesn't give a
| >recommended size that I can find.  Saturday I found a TR8
| >listing in a Purolator catalog:  PER18 is the recommended
| >filter.  That does NOT cross reference to a FRAM PH8A...
| >Hmmmm.  Looks like the 'proper' filter is supposed to be
| >smaller than the PH8A.
| >
| >Question:  What does everyone have on their 8s?  Does it
| >matter if the wrong (larger) size oil filter is used?
| >(Thought I'd ask you 'experts' BEFORE calling the local
| >parts store and/or consulting folks on the mailing list.)
| >
| >Thanks,
| >jim
| >
| I checked the filter on my 8 tonight; its a Valvolene Filter
| number VO-24.  It is a large filter.  As to filter size, the
| only thing that initially matters (IMHO) is that the threaded
| portion (filter to spin on threads) matches and that the
| rubber gasket seats properly against the correct milled
| surface of the engine wher the filter tightens down.  After
| that, the use of a larger filter should simply result in
| having a greater surface area internally for the oil to flow through.
| That should result in less buidup of trapped particles per square
| inch of filter surface for a larger filter on the same engine.
|
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Bill Sohl                          ||                email
| Bellcore                           ||        UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
| (Bell Communications Research)     ||                  or
| 201-829-2879 Weekdays              || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Some factors to consider in selecting an oilfilter:
 1 size
 2 porosity (finer is usually better)
 3 flow rate
 4 rated max pressure
 5 bypass pressure
 etc

 oil filters from diesels are offen better. I use a Volvo diesel oil filter
 on a Triuph gt6. (adapted) Some filter books show the info needed.
 good luck