HIF'ed!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: HIF'ed!
From: Dale C. Cook <mit-eddie!pinocchio.encore.com!cook@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 16:17:16 EDT
| OVR FOVNDER Sez:

Boy it's nice to get some of the respect that my advancing years so
richly entitle me to... turn 50 this Monday, chaps.  Time marches and
all that...  Good thing I'm still not too old to play with those SU's!
:-)  Just work slower and have to keep changing glasses....

| >the choke cam that lifts the idle screw.

Roger, or man on SU technology (amongst other things) sez:
| On the HS anyhow, this should only be true when the choke is engaged.
| It can cause problems when it doesn't release completly. I can't
| 'member what the HIF has for an Idle adjustment, exactly. HS has
| an Idle screw.

It's a screw, in roughly the same place I remember it being on the
Midget.  The cam is very excentric (has a lobe maximum, is probably
what I'm trying to say) just at the choke/no choke position.  In
Grandfathers case, one carb was just past the max (and on the cam)
and one was just before it (and off.)  In my simple mindedness, I
just made them work the same.

Maybe I should keep my eyes out for a pair of HS's?

It looks to me like they made the HIF's as near to "unadjustable"
as they could -- big flat curve beyond the two lean position.
Probably means you don't get anywhere near the performance out
of them as you do HS's.  On the other hand the car seems to run
fine and I'm not into racing.

        - Dale