Fakes

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Fakes
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 11:29:04 pdt

>>    1974 XKE Roadster
>>    New, 431 miles, never registered, silver, red leather, perfect original
>>    new car.
>>         $160,000  (815) 725-7110

>I always wonder how many of these are fakes.  I'll bet if someone declared
>that 1975 Chevy Novas were worth $100,000 tommorrow, that ads would start

My own club magazine THE SHELBY AMERICAN has featured several articles
on this very subject.  Faking valuable classics has become a lucrative
business for a number of unscrupulous entrepreneurs.  In some cases it's
actually worth building a car from scratch with the commercially
remanufactured parts used by legitimate restorers and enthusiast.  Many
specialty car clubs keep a close watch on this sort of thing so anyone
considering purchasing a classic should contact one of these clubs
BEFORE buying.  Autoweek magazine also had an article on this subject a
few months back.

Another favorite trick is to give an otherwise "ordinary" car a fake
history to increase it's mystic and thus it's value.  "Brando gave this
car to his wife as a wedding present" or some such thing.  Make sure any
"special" history on a car you're considering is well documented.

Roland