Re: Cars for sale

To: larry_schwarcz%q0@hp6600.desk.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cars for sale
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com!augi@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Joe Augenbraun)
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 90 10:34:09 EDT

> Well,
>
> I was thumbing through the July issue of Hemmings and I saw the following
> ad:
>
>    1962 E-Type Roadster
>    Flat floors, welder louvers (what's this?), 7,400 actual miles,

They mean welded louvers.  The main distinguishing features of very early
E-types are flat front floor, external bonnet latches and the fact that the
louvers in the bonnet were a seperate piece welded on instead of just being
part of the stamping for the center section.

Early E-types are considered more valuable than later ones (where early here
is 1961 and early '62) because there are very few of them left.  Silly in
my opinion as those very things that distinguishes them from later models
were changed for the later models because they were the bad parts of the
original design.  The flat floorpan doesn't provide enough leg room, the
external bonnet latches require a special tool to open (if you lose it you're
in trouble), and the welded louvers are a manufacturing issue and shouldn't
make any difference to the customer.

>    1974 XKE Roadster
>    New, 431 miles, never registered, silver, red leather, perfect original
>    new car.
>         $160,000  (815) 725-7110

I always wonder how many of these are fakes.  I'll bet if someone declared
that 1975 Chevy Novas were worth $100,000 tommorrow, that ads would start
appearing for new 1975 Novas that were never registered.  On something like
a 1974 XKE, I could see someone buying a new one and storing it, but I've
seen these ads for almost every car that is valuable, most of which no one
ever knew would be worth anything.  (The only car made today that I've heard
of people buying just to store are Mazda Miatas.  Has anyone heard of anyone
buying and storing anything else?).

                                                        Joe