re: TR Undercoating Questions

To: ~b-c@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: TR Undercoating Questions
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 25 Jul 1990 10:28 EDT
Darrell Walker asks:
>Can anyone tell me what type (if any) of undercoating is original
>for a 66 TR4A?  Does anyone want to offer opinions as to what the
>best kind is?  I have the wings (fenders) off of my car for repainting,
>and I would like to refinish the insides as well.

I don't believe there was any "original" undercoating on the early
Triumphs.  Most, if not all, undercoating was probably added by
the dealer.  In any case, with the improvement in undercoating
I wouldn't worry about originality on this point.

Another question comes to mind, unless your TR-4A is going to see
alot of daily driving in a mixed variety of weather, why undercoat
at all?  I can see having the inner rockers, doors, etc done with
a Rusty Jones process or some modern equivalent, but if you have
fully redone a car, including the undercarriage, why hide the
work with undercoating unless you really need it.

As a last point, we (Vintage Triumph Register) do NOT deduct any
points in a concours for "neatly" done undercoating, regardless
of when or what was used.  I can't make that claim for all car
shows/concours, but that is the policy for our annual national
convention.  As a side note, we also do not deduct for a neatly
installed fire extinguisher.

Bill Sohl