Re: British Cars Day

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: British Cars Day
From: uunet!hsi.com!archer@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Garry Archer)
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 90 13:59:24 EDT
Ed devinney writes:
> Anyway, the show: three points.
> 1) Was it me, or did it end early? 2:45 and folks were zooming out of there.
>      I'm quite experienced with US musclecar shows, and we stay till 5 or so.

Yeah, I thought the same.  It seemed like that as soon as the trophies
were given out folks started to shove off.  The *positive* side of this
is that it was nice to actually see the cars in action and hear some
beautiful engine noises!  GREAT!  Did you see the chap in his (blech!) orange
Morgan tri-car driving around?  That was fantastic!

> 3) I also could have used an SOL identifying point, so here comes ...
>
>        ... The Scions of Lucas Identifying Marker Offer of 1990.
>    Presented for your approval, as was done recently in rec.motorcycles, the
> idea of creating an SOL patch (or sticker, or both).  rec.MC folk did it for
> about $5/patch.  I agree that the SOL list is substantially like a car club;
> it'd be nice to be able to find each other.  The stipulations? First, e-mail
> me if your interested and we'll determine if this is economically feasible.
> If so, we'll see who's interested in doing artwork.  Assuming there's more
>than
> one good design, we'll run them by the group for a vote.  Then we get a few
> quotes from patch/sticker/dash plate suppliers, and there we are.
>
> Any interest? Mail me at ejd@iris.brown.edu.

I copied this to the list, because I would also like to suggest a t-shirt
design.  T-shirts are usually more visible than patches or stickers and
would be easier to look for in a crowd.  However, patches are still a good
idea for those who like them.  I just went through ordering several
orders of t-shirts for my soccer club I formed at work.  We paid:

        A ONE time charge for screen work (we provided our own art work)
        of $25.00.  This means you're not charged for this in subsequent
        orders.

        $5.25 per t-shirt, preshrunk 100% combed cotton.  Must order
        batches of six in one size and colour (you can order other
        colours and sizes, of course, but only in multiples of six).

        A small shipping charge (all shirts to one address) of about $3.50.

I can provide the supplier's name/phone number on request.  I obtained a
few quotes (suppliers local to me) and those figures above were the best.

Yes, Ed, count me in as interested in whatever we end up getting.  Thanks!!!

--
Garry Archer Esq.       {yale, uunet}!hsi!archer  -OR-  archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert