Re: this month's Classic Cars

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (SOL mail list)
Subject: Re: this month's Classic Cars
From: T.J. Higgins <mit-eddie!uunet.UU.NET!a106d!tj@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 90 8:39:09 CDT
Gerry says:

> This month's Classic Cars will be of great interest to all Triumph owners.
> [...]
> Also there is an article concerning the TR7 and has a "Classic
> Buyers Guide".

I don't presently own any Triumphs, but there is a TR7 owned by a
colleague that may be for sale in the distant future.  Thus I'm
keeping an eye out for any info on that model that may be useful.

After reading Gerry's message, I went to the bookstore and looked at
the current issue of Classic Cars (the July issue).  The cover has an
A-H on it, I think it was a 3000 (I was kinda p.o.'d so I don't really
remember).  In the table of contents of the July issue, they talk
about the articles coming next month:  Stag, TR7, Mayflower.  You
guessed it, the August issue is the one of which Gerry speaks.
Despite the best efforts of Joe Augenbraun's computer to tell me it
is August, I know in my heart it is still July, and will be for at
least 2 more weeks.

My guess is that Gerry is a subscriber to Classic Cars and just got
the August issue, whereas the bookstore is still displaying the July
issue.

"This month's issue" doesn't do anyone much good when it comes to
magazines, given their godawful propensity to release them up to 6 or
8 weeks in advance of the date on the cover.  And not everyone's
e-mail delivery is 100% reliable and on-time.  And there are
international readers on this list who may not be able to get a
publication until weeks after it is released in the U.S.

With all that off my chest, may I request that when referring to
publications, that the actual date that is printed on the cover be
used?  Thank you.
T.J. Higgins                    uunet!ingr!higgins (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.  M/S IW17A5    higgins@ingr.com   (Internet)
One Madison Industrial Park
Huntsville, AL  35894-0001      "Well-weathered leather, hot metal
(205) 730-7922                   and oil, the scent of country air"
                                                        -Rush