A new member in the family...

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: A new member in the family...
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 90 13:34:23 CDT
        This is from Cathy Young @ ssiwest....

        Oh joy!  Oh wonder!  I still can't believe it when I think about
        it, much less stare witlessly at the gorgeous '70 GT6+ in my
        driveway.  To think, there was a car still out there for me, in
        perfect condition (except for the cobwebs and the dust and all
        the cleaning that needs to go on in the engine and the gas tank)...
        ...and to think I found that car right in my own hometown!
        Unbelievable!  And at less than $1000, I feel GUILTY for taking
        it from it's previous owner!

        Robbie (that's his name, he told me) had been sitting in a barn
        for four years, and in the driveway of someone's architectural
        design firm for two before I saw him during my walk to farmer's
        market one Sunday.  His pseudo-brg paint was faded, and the spiders
        had tied him to the ground and the chain link fence with their webs,
        but still he shined with true Triumph attraction.  Chrome everywhere.
        And not a piece of it missing.  Upon closer inspection two weeks
        later, with my boyfriend Mitch (owner of '70 TR6, Torrington),
        we discovered it was a GT *plus*, and, through the grimy
        driver's side window, saw the gleam of an overdrive switch on the
        steering column!  We left drool in puddles around the chain link
        fence, and I think Robbie woke up enough to notice his visitors
        this time.

        There was no "For Sale" sign, though.  I told Mitch I bet the owner
        knew what he had there and probably wouldn't sell it.  The only
        place you can find real good british cars for real good deals anymore
        was Kansas, as far as I could tell.  Of course, the value on the GT6's
        hadn't skyrocketed yet, but no doubt people on both coasts would be
        hanging on to their Triumphs of any make in hopes of making better
        investments out of them.  Sigh.  Boy it was neat to see another
        Triumph in Livermore, though.  Besides Torrington, there was only
        one brg Spit in town, and that belonged to a high school student.

        But last Thursday Mitch called the guy at the architectural design
        firm anyway and asked if he was willing to sell his GT6.  "If the
        price is right."  The price was RIGHT!!!!  So Mitch calls me up
        at work, "Can you come home right away?  We gotta problem."  I race
        home on my bike worried about parents in plane crashes or cats flat
        in the road, but instead, when I arrive, Mitch packs me into the jeep
        and we take off for the gas station.  I try to guess where we're
        going.  Somewhere that needs a can full of gas.  Ha!  "We're gonna
        go look at that GT, right?"  "No," Mitch smiles.  "Okay," I continue,
        "How about a boat?  We're gonna look at a boat, but god knows why
        we need a can of gas unless we're taking it to a lake where we can
        use it's engine.  You were talking about getting a little drift
        boat this morning."  "Nope.  No boat."  He has this glint in his
        eyes, though, like I'm close with my guesses, so I try the GT again.
        "No we're not going to look at the GT."  "Rats," I say, but nonethe-
        less we are headed toward that certain architectural design firm
        downtown...

        "We ARE going to see the GT!!!!" I crow when we pull up in front of
        it.  The bonnet is up and its owner is draing old gas.  I grin.  Mitch
        gets out of the jeep and says, "We're not *looking* at the GT, we
        BOUGHT it!!!!"

        What a day.  :-)

        So now we have cleaned it up and discovered all sorts of nearly-new
        parts under the dust.  The tranny still has bright yellow crayon
        marks on it from the parts house!  The radiator was stuffed with
        brown mud, but it got a good flush.  The overdrive is an A-type.
        The plugs look in great shape --only the no. six has a bit of soot
        on it.  One carb has a leak which can be fixed easily.  We went
        down to see Dorene at 14th Street (NOTE**** they have moved to a
        new location!!!  They've combined with another yard down near
        the San Mateo Bridge.  Call the old number for directions.) and
        got a carbon-cannister bracket, some smog hose stuff (I'll say
        it's hosed! ;-), and a seat belt for the tri-point harnesses.
        We have yet to find a new dash top, though.  Victoria British
        says the last GT6 (and early Spit) dash tops disappeared off the
        shelves eight years ago, and no doubt the wrecking yards have all
        been scoured by now.  (A call to Dorene confirmed this.)  So,
        what's a good way to refurbish a dash top???  There are dash
        "covers" out there of polyesther or plastic, but we're a little
        doubtful that these will look good.  Any experience/ideas out
        there?

        The little car looks 100 times better than a week ago, and all
        we've done is the easy stuff.  All the "hard things" that we
        took apart to check looked in great shape!  Amazing!  So now
        we have to go get it smogged and, providing a cop doesn't pull
        us over for having '84 registration tags, go to the DMV and
        register the newest member of our family.

        indi (Cathy Young)         |"ssiwest!young"@lll-lcc.llnl.gov
        Supercomputer Systems, Inc | or: uunet!ssi!young
        Livermore, CA              | (415)373-8044
        There are two hotels in Djang: the Hotel Windsor and, across
        the street, the Hotel Anti-Windsor.          --Bruce Chatwin

        P.S. If I got any of the engine-part-names wrong or anything,
        forgive me.  This is only my second brit-car, and I'm still
        learning...