Slipping Clutch on TR6 -- how many ? to fix

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Slipping Clutch on TR6 -- how many ? to fix
From: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu <mit-eddie!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 90 21:52:16 -0400
I'm considering a TR6 for sale in the Boston area.  (Jim, sorry, I
know I said I'd give you a call before going to see an LBC, but I
was on a tight schedule tonight.)  The car is in essentially good
shape.  The body is ok, but has been fiberglass patched on the front
wings behind the wheels, on the top of the wings along the bonnet,
and at the top of the rear wings along the boot (trunk) lid.  The
floors are solid, except for a small patch at the outside front
corners (right next to the front tires.)  The rockers have been
replaced -- they look good.  The fiberglass job could have been done
better, but can be seen from about 6 feet from car on a careful
glance.  Whole car repainted (near original color) in Spring
'89.  Frame seems ok, but a big metal plate has been bolted onto
the center underside of the frame.  Body shows no sign of damage
severe enough to damage that part of the frame (essentially no rust
on frame.)

Mechanically, the car seems mostly sound.  Steering response is
quick and tight, engine starts, idles, and seems to deliver power
ok.  I say "seems" to deliver power well, as the clutch is slipping
miserably on this car.   Acceleration is definitely leisurely to
keep the clutch from slipping.  (The engine seems quite happy, but
just can't get that beautiful torque to the wheels!)  Interior is
ok;  electricals all work (even the washer fluid!)  Driver's side
window crank slips when rolling up (obviously a sibling of the
clutch :-) and driver's side interior door handle missing.
(Door mechanism seems sound.)  Plusses are redlines worn
only 2000 miles, essentially new vinyl hood, tonneau, and
"folded-down-top cover" (what *IS* that called?)

My real question, whether or not I chose to "invest" (hah!) in this
british iron, is what is probably wrong with the clutch to make it
slip severely.  Is it possible that just the clutch disc is worn, or
is it more likely something with the pressure plate?  In either
case, replacing these would seem to be a semi-major operation.  I
would guess these would cost on the order of $500 - $750 to have
fixed professionally?  (I'm afraid I haven't the equipment to do
this myself.)

Well, this '71 TR6 (CC63556) is being sold for $2700/bo.  The owner
is in no hurry to sell it, and was amazingly honest in pointing out
every little thing that was wrong with the car (even pointing out a
few problems I missed in my once-over.)  Opinions?  (As if I have to
ask! :-)

Kenneth B. Streeter         | ARPA: streeter@im.lcs.mit.edu
MIT LCS, Room NE43-350      | UUCP: ...!uunet!im.lcs.mit.edu!streeter
545 Technology Square       | (617) 253-2614    (work)
Cambridge, MA 02139         | (617) 225-2249    (home)