Spitfire lovers- the real thing!

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Spitfire lovers- the real thing!
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 90 14:10:38 pdt
I Know I'm beginning to sound like a commercial for Masterpiece Theatre
but I think the series that's currently running on PBS might be of
interest to others on the b-c list.  I'm guessing that anyone with a
passion for vintage British cars might also have a passion for vintage
British airplanes (or aeroplanes as they are referred to in the story).
I know I do.  Anyway, if you're interested in seeing some very good
footage of original Spitfires, than tune in to "A Piece of Cake" on
your local PBS station.  These planes are the real thing, not some more
recent aircraft made up to look like the famous British fighters.  The
story itself is about a squadron of Spits during the first few months of
WW II up to (and I guess partly including) the Battle of Britain.  It
appears that a full squadron complement of twelve planes was assembled
for the filming of the series.  The timing of the series on American TV
was planned to coincide with the fiftieth anniversary of the Battle of
Britain this August.  The first episode had some very nifty shots of
formations of Spits skimming along the English and French countrysides.
There was also one interesting shot of a Spit flying under a river bridge.

Not to be forgotten are the vintage British cars to be seen.  IMHO, the
story is much more entertaining than the story I mentioned in an earlier
posting (the one with the MG) and you won't find that you are forcing
yourself to endure the story line between flying sequences.

My apologies if this is a bit outside the realm of British cars, but
it did seem closely enough related to me, but then I'm both an old car
and old airplane nut, no matter the country of origin.  To those of you
who agree with me, happy viewing.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilan.hp.com