Re: Spitfire lovers- the real thing!

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Spitfire lovers- the real thing!
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 90 10:57:19 EDT
That "Piece Of Cake" thingy on Materpiece Theatre looks real good.  I don't
recall seeing a full compliment of 12, tho'.  Looks more like 1/2 a dozen
to me.  I read a review of this work, and I thought it said they had about
that many planes in it.  Seems the planes used were not used in Britain.
They were flown by some air force in some south Pacific are like Malaysia
in the early 50's.  Another interesting factor, so said the review, is that
military historians have criticized the series in that the Hawker Hurricain
should have been used, since the Spitfire didn't become operational until
1940 and this starts in 1939 (I think, or certainly before 1940).  Still,
said the review, that can be excused because there are probably only 2
Hurricains still flying in the world and the Spitfire is prettier anyway.

Jim