TR7 clutch flakiness...

To: -v@emx.utexas.edu, british-cars%alliant.com@eddie.mit.edu
Subject: TR7 clutch flakiness...
From: mit-eddie!emx.utexas.edu!jatc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (James TenCate)
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 90 14:52:36 -0500
>Occasionally I have trouble getting the car into reverse. This is
>most noticable after the car has been idling in neutral for a bit

Our 75 (4 speed) had this problem occasionally too.  It went away after
a gearbox rebuild a while back.  I'm not sure what the problem was
cause I didn't rebuild it.  HOWEVER, I did hear of a trick which
got us by the problem the few years before the rebuild:

Before trying to shift into reverse, put the clutch in, shift to 2nd,
and THEN into reverse.  Seemed to work pretty well (although I really
don't know why).  Perhaps putting the car temporarily in 2nd stopped
whatever was spinning?

Maybe this'll work for your car?  Hope it helps.

jim
jatc@emx.utexas.edu