fuel tank coatings

To: british-cars@Alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: fuel tank coatings
From: R. Eugene Johnston (smp) <mit-eddie!cs.unc.edu!rej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 May 90 12:54:13 -0400
I went through the rusty fuel tank problem a couple of times. Most
recently was with my XJ6 (two tanks yet). One was so badly rusted I
had to have the holes repaired. The radiator shop boiled the tanks out.
repaired the holes, then coated them with a tank sealer. I don't
remember what brand of sealer they used. Another time, I was rebuilding
a '60 Mercedes 180. The fuel tank was not rusted through, but there was
enough rust in it that the filter was always clogged, and even clogged
the carb. I removed tank, flushed it out with water mamy many times, let
it dry for about a week out in the sunshine, then sloshed fuel tank
sealer in the tank (according to instructions on teh can) let it dry,
repeated sealing treatment, and reinstalled tank. Never had trouble
after that. I can't remember if I bought sealer from JC Whitney, or
ordered it from adv. in Hemmings. I suspect they are all the same.
If I had it to do over again, I would first have tank boiled out
by radiator shop.      Hope this is helpful.
Gene Johnston