Re: Newsgroup or list?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Newsgroup or list?
From: mit-eddie!bevsun.bev.lbl.gov!guy@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Aran Guy)
Date: Sat, 19 May 90 02:12:21 PDT
 From Phil:

> Is it time to get this into a Newsgroup
> form moderated by name? (If you ain't on the list, you dinna get
> in.)) -Aran Guy

No, I like it like this.  I would like it to be set up like the
autox list, though.  When a message is posted on autox, you respond
directly to the user with an r command.
for the west coast appears to do. Not to mention the horrors of dealing
with .UUCP appendages.
 Some posters to the list appear to be running their mail through some
kind of USENET package already. I'm not faulting the administrators of
this list for their performance; in fact, I think they have done a fantastic
job of keeping the list running smoothly and encouraging some of the more
timorous posters to jump in. But the sheer volume is getting out of control,
and I'm seeing some posts duplicated five or six times now. Since there is
no unique message ID, my mailer, for one, can't sort them properly in any
non-dweebish matter.
 This mailinglist has been a fun and informative forum with none of the
atrocious behavior found in many USENET groups. And it can be kept that
way. But it appears that the explosion in LBC interest both here and in the
real world would justify a newsgroup; with the mailing list crossposted
into it, and some sort of automated moderation by name or email address
to keep out the geeks. I am not up to the task of doing all this; I'm not
a computer professional, I just smash atoms and play with cars. Maybe
someone with masochistic tendencies out there can pursue this farther?
 I am willing to post a call for votes in news.groups if that is the
consensus of the SOL'ers, but the last thing I want to do is introduce
divisiveness.
 Enough of that nonsense. My Spit is getting there; the driveline is back
together, new Yokos grace the stern, the smog stuff is taken care of. Now
I gotta figure how I'm goung to spray out the burned paint on the bonnet.
 Aran (Shave and a haircut, two Spits) Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov