spit hybrids

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: spit hybrids
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 18 May 90 23:06:26 PDT
We went and looked at the Mk3 / GT6 hybrid today.  He'd actually done a
nice job of it -- said this was his 10th Spitfire project.  It's a Mk
III body shell (fiberglass hood and rear wings) on a GT6+ chassis/drive
train (with overdrive).  No drips(!), new bushings everywhere, new
springs and Konis, clean wiring harness, new tonneau, good top.  He used
the tandem master cylinder from the 6, and did a nice job of relocating
the starter solenoid and wiring -- the casual observer wouldn't notice
the patch.  He used SS braided fuel line when he installed the electric
fool pump in the trunk.

The seats were racing shells - foam over fiberglass.  It's an amazingly
low ride.  Lots of torque, a very satisfying exhaust note.  (130 bhp
stock?)  But a really rough ride, much different than my TR.  I couldn't
conceive of driving this for several hours on end, much less to Boulder!

My friend was overwhelmed by the amount of trivial knowledge that the
owner and I exchanged, and decided that it was going to require too much
maintenance and tinkering for him (I suggested he buy a Miata). But it
was fun to examine.

If anyone is interested (Hi indi!), the asking price is $2500, located
in Palo Alto.  He's moving to Oregon soon, hence the sale.  I can get
the phone number.  I have no idea how much he's willing to deal -- he
seems to know the value of Triumphs and has put a lot of effort in.