Another TR ID plate question

Subject: Another TR ID plate question
From: Darrell Walker <mit-eddie!hprpcd.hp.com!walker@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 90 9:26:29 PDT

On the TR4 and TR4A cars, there are three ID plates under the bonnet.
The first is the commission plate, which has (naturally) the commission
number, as well as paint, trim and GVW data.  This is mounted on the
"shelf" next to the firewall, near the brake/clutch master cylinders
(on a RHD car).  The second is the body serial number, mounted on the
right hand "shelf".  Both of these plates are mentioned in various catalogs
and books.  The third plate looks something like this:

         +-----------+
         |  TRIUMPH  |
         |  STC-NN   |
         +-----------+

Where "NN" appears to be the year of manufacture.  On several cars that
I have seen, this plate is mounted above the commission plate, however,
on my car it is next to the body serial number.  I am sure that it has
not been moved on my car, because I have striped the paint from that
area and there are no mounting holes.

The question I have for you guys is, what is this plate for, and where
should it go?

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@hprpcd.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: walker (hprpcd) /HP5200/UX