Thanks & Post Coital letdown

To: british-cars@ames!alliant.Alliant.COM, ssi!rmb@ames.arc.nasa.gov,
Subject: Thanks & Post Coital letdown
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!beowulf!bownesrm@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon May 7 23:04:29 1990
        I just came back from a grocery store run in 'Lizbeth. Caught
a couple looking her over longingly in the parking lot. That was a good
feeling. But all is not well in the land of cheese...

        I've had 'Lizbeth for nearly 5 years now. I've nursed her through
a New York winter, commuting to Boston, road trips to Texas, Ohio,
Minesota, bad paint, bad rings, bad diff (twice) and a restoration of
her interior. As some of you (those who don't skip everything I write...)
may have read earlier in the day, she's pretty much done. I made light
of buying a TR-3 as my next project, but still, I don't know where to
go from here. I feel really up that she's done, but now I fear more than
ever that I'm going to loose her somehow. I ended up sitting in the garage
looking at the collection, reflecting on how this bright red-orange
creature seems to have such soul. Certainly alot more soul than the
faster, more agile, cheaper piece of Japanese engineering sitting next to
it. She's now probably worth the $10k offer I had a year or so ago but I
have less intention than ever of parting with this joy.

        This was motivated by our recent discussion on car names. I've
owned 8 cars in the last 10 years, 2 japanese, 4 american, and 2 LBC's.
And it's been the LBC's I've enjoyed the most. I really like these cars.
I don't really understand it, but I do know it exists. They've cost me
near as I can tell about 8K dollars between the 2 of them, mostly into
'Lizbeth. But more than the money, I've got time and love poured into
this little project. Nearly 5 years of struggle, cursing, crying, and
sheer joy the first time I go out for a drive every spring. Ya'll
help to make that happen on a daily basis and I just wanted to say
'Thanks' and share it with the few I knew who would appreciate it.

        bob