Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Thanks & Post Coital letdown
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 8 May 90 12:42:25 PDT
>I feel really up that she's done, but now I fear more than
>ever that I'm going to loose her somehow.

What a sensation... The closest I've ever been to having a
car *finished* was when I got the new top and interior on
the '74 Midget with its rebuilt front end, new brakes, and
factory-rebuilt transmission.  A week later, some dimbulb
in his mom's Oldsmobile (at least it wasn't his father's
Oldsmobile...) was playing Dukes of Hazzard and smacked the
Midget while parked.  Damn.  And the Midget was parked on
the street because my newly-acquired project (i.e., non-
running, non-registered) Bugeye was in one half of the
garage, and our non-running project Mini Traveller was in
the other.

So for one thing, if you buy a new project TR-3, don't park
'Lisbeth on the street or some kid will kill her.

>I ended up sitting in the garage
>looking at the collection, reflecting on how this bright red-orange
>creature seems to have such soul. Certainly alot more soul than the
>faster, more agile, cheaper piece of Japanese engineering sitting next to
>it.

Interesting quote from the prez of Saab-Scania, talking about
getting steering racks from GM now that Saab is a GM company:
"Parts like that don't do anything to define a car's soul."

That's knocked Saabs off the list of cars I intend to consider.
If the president doesn't think steering is part of a car's
soul...

>But more than the money, I've got time and love poured into
>this little project. Nearly 5 years of struggle, cursing, crying, and
>sheer joy the first time I go out for a drive every spring. Ya'll
>help to make that happen on a daily basis and I just wanted to say
>'Thanks' and share it with the few I knew who would appreciate it.

I was recently describing this phenomenon to someone who had just
purchased a Miata.  "Sure, the Miata is what a British roadster
would be if it died and went to heaven," I said.  "But there's
a very special feeling to having an older British car -- you know,
when you drive it, that you're making the car go.  Everything in
the car is running because of your knowledge, your effort, your
work and your learning."  British cars share a lot of things with
children: they're not always rational, they're occasionally
frustrating, and it sometimes doesn't make a lot of sense to have
them, but they're a physical manifestation of love and commitment
to doing the right thing, regardless of how difficult it might seem.
(I suppose I could get cynical and say they're also acquired by
losing your head in a moment of passion, but both my MG and my
daughter have been wonderfully angelic lately...)

--Scott