Jag names

To: sol%hoosier@cs
Subject: Jag names
From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb%hoosier@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mark Bradakis)
Date: Fri, 4 May 90 13:06:41 -0600
:: As far as using the term XKE, I think it must have come from the factory
:some-
:: how.  Look at it this way, no-one calls C and D Types XKC's and XKD's.  And
:: no one calls XK120's, 140's and 150's 120-Types, 140-Types and 150-Types.
:The
:: S-type saloon was never called the XKS.  So why would the public embrace the
:: "incorrect" term XKE for the E-Type?

As I recall, the XK-120 through 150 were called XKs.  They were available to
the public.  The C type and the D type were racing only cars.  The E type name
continued the racing heritage, but hit the market as the replacement for the
XK series.  So the moniker XK-E type seemed obvious to the average guy, correct
or not.  I mean, how many people know what the bandit in "Treasure of Sierra
Madre" REALLY said?  That is probably one of the more frequently misquoted
quotes around.

mjb.