Clutch problems on the TR-6

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Clutch problems on the TR-6
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!ssi!coventry!rmb@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Keptin Komrade Dr. Bobwrench III)
Date: Thu, 3 May 90 01:14:12 CDT
        What with all the recent discussion of TR-6 clutches, I decided it was
time to change mine.....

        I got 'Lizbeth back from the body shop last Thursday, 3 hours before I
was due to set out to drive home to N.Y. for the weekend. (Sure was nice
weather for the Outback!) Typical. 2 weeks late back from the shop. I'll live
with it, but I may not make it to this weekend's autocross because of it.

        Anyway, I set out to pull the trans tonight with an eye to replacing
the OD and clutch. After much hassling over the N+1 bolts that hold the trans
on, I finally managed to get the critter off about 8:30 this evening. A quick
examination of the throwout bearing reveals one of the major sources of noise.
In addition to a yukky (technical term) bearing, the 'sleeve onto which the
bearing is pressed' is kinda trashy lookin too. It's got som indentations
where the pins on the fork press into it. Examination of the pins on the fork
reveal them to be just about square. Ooof. Well a call to TRF in the am should
solve that. Taking apart the clutch I found the driven plate has worn down to
one of the rivets. Grrrr. And to top that off, the driven plate is Laycock
and the pressure plate is Borg & Beck. According to everyone I've ever asked,
this is a major no-no. Anyone got any great words of clutch advice before I
start putting this critter back together?

        Having worn the driven plate down to the rivet, (on the flywheel side
of course) means I'm going to have to get the flywheel refaced. I hope a quick
trip down to the local speed shop will take care of that little detail sometime
either tomorrow morning or Friday. Don't know if I should just get it resurfaced
or if I should get it lightened a little while I'm at it. Any suggestions?

        In the meanwhile, I've got an OD to drop onto the trans and a few
boxes of other parts to fit Thursday night, Friday night and Saturday during
the day....

        Time to go to sleep....

        iii