Rear Disc Brakes

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Rear Disc Brakes
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 90 14:22:07 pdt
Iain McWilliams <EDDIE.MIT.EDU!mit-eddie!inmos.com!mcwill> writes:

>The only benefit I could see would be automatic adjustment, but
>then you have the hassle of what to do with the emergency brake.

My rear discs have separate mechanical calipers and pads for the parking
brake.  I assume any kit would include something comparable.  Mine isn't
all that hot but on anything less than a about 3-4% grade, it'll hold.
On a really steep hill, I usually put the car in gear and crank the
front wheels so that it can't roll into traffic.  I wouldn't even attempt
to to use the hand brake to stop in an emergency.

Roland