Re: Spridget vs. Spitfire?

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Spridget vs. Spitfire?
From: mit-eddie!icarus.riacs.edu!akkana@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 12:45:04 PST
Jim Muller writes:
> be true that the Spridget can be made to go quite fast, I am not going to let
> G.E. get clean away after an inflammatory shot like "The Spridget has a better
> suspension..."   :-)

I had a problem with that remark too.  In fact, my impression has
been exactly the opposite -- I see lots of Spridgets which are very fast in
a straight line (of course, some of them have rotaries or other engines in
them ...) but my impression was that in anywhere-near-stock trim the Spitfire
(even the early swing-axle models) should far outhandle a Spridget.

Admittedly, I have never driven a Spridget (I've ridden in stock ones).
The last time I drove a Spitfire it was an 1147 with a 1500 rear spring,
slightly lowered front springs, and Hoosier tires.  It handled quite as
well as my X1/9 (which is to say, about the same cornering loads as a
go-kart).  I think you'd have to do serious mods to a spridget (much more
elaborate and expensive than the mods this Spitfire had) to get that
level of handling.

I've also spent some time in a stock 1147 Spit (the same car before the
suspension was modified) and it handles quite well, provided that you are
willing to learn how to drive a swing-axle car (rule #1: if you are turning,
even a little bit, don't lift your foot off the accelerator at all, and
don't even let yourself think about the word "brakes").

On the other hand, the Spitfire engine (at least the 1147) is woefully anemic.
Makes lotsa pretty noises, but the car doesn't go anywhere very fast.
Nothing's perfect ...

--
        ...Akkana               akkana@eeg.com