Re: Spridge 1275cc vs. Triumph 1296cc

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Spridge 1275cc vs. Triumph 1296cc
From: linus!xait!think!ames!apple!tolsoft!craig@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Craig Harmer)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 14:40 PST
        Date: Mon, 27 Nov 89 10:08:25 -0700
        From: mit-eddie!cs.utah.edu!mjb@hoosier (Mark Bradakis)
        To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
        Subject: Re: Spriget 1275cc vs. Triumph 1296cc

        I am not very familiar with MG products, so I have a couple of
questions.
        Does the 1275 engine have three exhaust and two intake ports, as in
some of
        the smaller displacement (A series?) engines?  Is the MGB engine
directly
        related to these little guys, or does it boast a separate lineage?

        Also, do the Spridgets have lever arm shocks front and rear?

        mjb.

questions i can answer! (mostly).

the 1275 engine had a similar casting to the earlier 948 and 1098 engines.
some of the heads are interchangeable.  the 1275 has siamese intake ports
(two) and one siamese exhaust port (for a total of three).  the MGB
has a quite different engine.

someone or other made a full eight-port cross-flow aluminum head for
the engine, but didn't actually see a large performance increase over
an extensively ported 1275 head.  (from Dave Vizards, "Tuning the
British-Leyland A-series Engine" (i think)).  with a lot of modifications
(boring to 1350 cc, extensively ported head, new carb(s), etc. these
engines can put out 100 Hp or so in streetable form--that's my goal.
a 100 Hp engine in a 1400 lb. bugeyed sprite *feels* fast!

and yes, the sprites have lever arm shocks front and rear.  conversion
kits to tubular shocks for both front and rear can be purchased, though
the front conversion kit requires the shocks be in good shape (because
they form of the upper pivot for the king pin).

                                craig