Re: [Bricklin] Distributor Position at TDC

To: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>, "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Distributor Position at TDC
From: "Larry Ankeny" <lvphotogroup@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 11:31:55 -0700
>The thing that confuses me is if the distributor rotor should be on
> the number one wire when the number 1 piston is at TDC on the compression
> stroke.  Does that indicate that the number one plug should have been
> fired
> or the next one to fire?  If it is the next one it would seem based on the
> 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order is that the rotor should be on the number two
> wire.  If it should have already fired should the rotor be on the 8 wire?

Greg,

First, on a AMC the rotor rotates in a clockwise direction. (the same
direction as clock).

Theoretically you can place the number one wire on any of the connections on
top of the distribtor cap.  The cap doesn't know the difference. it just
turns and supplies voltage from the coil (which is on all the time) and
"distributes" it to the wires. You just need to put the wires in a certain
order.

Now whichever connection you use for the number 1 wire, the dist. MUST be
turned so that the rotor is lined up with the number 1 connection when the
first pistion is at TDC of the comprestion stroke. THATS IT. Once the first
one is set, the rest follow suit.

Now you just have to place the rest of the wires in the correct order.
Going to the right of that first connection, attach the #8 wire, then the #4
goes to the right of that, and so on.

To answer your question:
If your timing light is connected to the number 1 spark plug or 1 spark plug
wire,
your timing light will light everytime the rotor strikes the number 1 wire
making the number 1 spark plug fire. The next one to fire will be #8 then #4
and so on

All the timing light does is light everytime the dist. puts voltage from the
coil into the wire you have the light attached to. Signifying that the spark
plug at the end of that wire should have fired.
Now you know WHEN it is firing. The timing marks show you the position of
the number one piston. "timing" is nothing more then getting the spark plug
to fire when the piston is at the top of the compression stroke.

I hope i didn't over simplify what is going on

Reference Items:

Firing Order AMC 360cid : 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

Distributor Rotation    : Clockwise

Drivers Side cylinder numbering (front to back) : 1 3 5 7
Passenger Side cylinders numbering (front to back) : 2 4 6 8

I hope the following diagram stays intact:

     Pass          Driver
       8             7

       6             5

       4             3