Re: [Bricklin] Distributor Position at TDC

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bricklin] Distributor Position at TDC
From: "Greg Schroeder" <gschroeder@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 01:01:24 -0500
I have the engine firing regulary now, but when I try to set the timing I
cannot get the timing mark to 5 BTDC.  When rotating the distributor
(clockwise) once it starts to get the TDC it starts running really sluggish
and sometimes quites..  This was the same issue I had before the rebuild so
I am at least at the same point.  I was hoping to find something out of line
as far as the timing marks during disassembly, but everythind was good.  I
tripled checked each mark to make sure everything was aligned during
reassembly.  So I believe since I am have the same issue before the rebuild
with timing that I am at the same point that marking the distribritor would
have gotten me.  I am currently adjusting the timing based on how the engine
sounds.  I have removed the vacuum advance and have plugged the vacuum hose
for this process.  I can also set it based on vacuum which I hear is
recommended for the best setting if you do not have a timing light.

So what would I need to do for the timing marks to be correct when I set the
timing?  The thing that confuses me is if the distributor rotor should be on
the number one wire when the number 1 piston is at TDC on the compression
stroke.  Does that indicate that the number one plug should have been fired
or the next one to fire?  If it is the next one it would seem based on the
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 firing order is that the rotor should be on the number two
wire.  If it should have already fired should the rotor be on the 8 wire?

Sorry if I am driving everyone crazy with this, but I want to try to get
everything right.  Not having marks on the distributor/rotor for TDC setting
like my Toyota makes this a manual hit and miss when setting the rotor.  On
my Toyota I have every mark correct and the timing with the timing light is
perfect and it runs great.  Just like to get the Bricklin that way also.

Greg 0036