Re: overheating 2121 (part 2 of 4)

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating 2121 (part 2 of 4)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:58:04 -0400
Part 2 of 4

 >After several weeks of testing and some issues with timing and the carb one
 >day #2224 starts to overheat(2500) again. Before I totally stopped the
 >engine I opened the heater to inside on a 950 day, but without any change.

Did you feel hot air coming out of the heater?  If not, you could have air in
the heater core.

 >Could the timing and carb problems a reason why I have still CO in my
 >cooling system?

Yes, if you timing is way off, it can cause the engine to over heat.

The timing should be set to about 6 to 8 deg BTDC.

To set the timing:

1. Clean the crankshaft pulley (harmonic dampener) and timing plate so you
     can see the timing marks.  You might want to put some white paint on the
     mark on the crankshaft pulley, and some on the timing plate.  Each mark
     on the plate should be 10 deg.

2. Get the engine up to operating temp, about 180 - 200 deg.

3. Connect a timing light to #1 cylinder.  This is the front most plug on the
    passenger side of the engine.

4. Set the idle to about 700 rpm in Park.  You may have to adjust the idle
     adjusting screw to get the correct idle speed.

5. Disconnect the vacuum line from the distributor, and plug the vacuum hose.

6. Now start the engine, and point the timing light at the crankshaft
and timing
     plate.  If the timing is about 6 to 8 deg. you're fine.

7. If not, you'll have to loosen the locking bolt on the distributor
locking plate
    and rotate the distributor.  Slowly rotate the distributor until
the mark on the
    crankshaft pulley is between the 0 and 10 deg mark on the plate.  Then lock
    the bolt back down.

There is another possiblity for causing overheating besides timing,  a problem
with the cooling system, or a blown head gasket.  That is too much
back pressure
from the muffler.  We had that problem with my Dad's '48 TR1800.  After we
restored it, she ran very hot.  We couldn't figure it out.  Finally
he replaced the
muffler and that solved the problem.  So if the muffler has reciently been
changed and the problem just started, the suspect a muffler problem.
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229