Re: overheating 2121 (part 1 of 4)

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating 2121 (part 1 of 4)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 18:57:49 -0400
Part 1 of 4

At 03:11 PM 8/19/2008, Sven  wrote:

 >It's good to hear that other B's have similar problems with temperature like
 >my #2224.
 >
 >After rebuilding my engine last year it'd got very hot on time after loosing
 >the lower connection of the radiator hose to the water pump.
 >So I reconnected the hose, refill the cooling system, but after a few
 >test-runs I saw bubbles in the water reservoir. It seems that CO is in the
 >system.

Sven,

You say you had CO in the radiator.  How do you now it was CO and not just
air?  Did you have a CO tester available and stick it in the
radiator?  If you have
CO then it sounds like a blown head gasket, which you said you pulled the head
again, and replaced them.

 >During the last month since rebuilding the head gaskets the water level in
 >the reservoir was ok until I stopped the engine. Than the water starts to
 >cocked out of the radiator into the reservoir and again there were bubbles!!
 >When the engine was running there was a minimum level of water, but after
 >stopping the level was to overflow.

It's not uncommon for a radiator to over flow after the engine has
been stopped,
especially on hot days.  That's why the put the over flow bottles on
the cars.  So
the radiator can over flow into it.  Then as the engine cools down,
the coolant
should be sucked back into the radiator.

However, it is NOT a good thing to have the temp guage reading 240 and above!

On a lot of newer cars, there is a bleed nipple attached to the
highest point in
the engine to allow you to get the air out when you replace the
coolant.   This is
because air can get trapped in the engine and not allow the coolant
to circulate
properly.  Unfortunately, the Bricklin doesn't have one.   So you
need find a way
to do the same thing.  For instance, remove the thermostat housing and poor
come coolant in from there to try and force the air up and out that opening.

Then replace the Thermostat and housing.   Then start the engine, drive the
car around the block to help it come up to temperature.  Shut the engine off,
let it cool and then recheck the radiator to see that it is
full.  Also make sure
you have coolant in about 1/2 of the overflow bottle.

Next replace the radiator cap.  There are 2 valves in it.  One to let
the coolant
out of the radiator if the pressure in the radiator exceeds the pressure cap's
limit (usually about 14 pounds), the other to let the fluid back into
the radiator
when the engine cools and starts to create a partial vacuum in
it.  If either of
these valves is bad, you can have problems with over heating or burst a seam
in the radiator.
Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229