RE: overheating 2121

To: <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: overheating 2121
From: "Breton48" <breton48@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 08:45:31 -0700
Thanks to all who responded... the new water pump is working with good flow
through the system, a CO test was done in the rad and came up negative, the
radiator is a new (recored) four core item, the radiator cap is a new 16 lbs
one, the thermostat is a new 180 degrees one which opens at the right
temperature, the electric fan is wired correctly and the blades are pushing
air correctly as installed, there is no debris/blockage externally, the
engine is tuned properly, there is no evidence of collapsed hoses (they are
new too), the mix antifeeze/water is 50/50, the fan clutch on the original
fan is working correctly, there are no leaks in the system, I ran the
radiator with the water below the neck and the radiator off, then topped it
off (no evidence of air pockets or bubbles indicating leaking gas), and I am
definitely at a loss now! I will take #2121 to a radiator shop to check is
there is internal blockage. That's the first thing I will do.

Fitting a new high flow thermostat might help, maybe taking off the original
fan too- I have a Lotus Seven which used to overheat - fitting a 10"
electric pusher fan and taking the old fan off did the trick on that one...
I was told that the two fans might interfere one with the other and I would
get a better air flow with just the electric fan - which is just what one of
you suggested I did with the Bricklin. Worth a try.

The tech who did all the work on #2121 here in So Cal suggested I fit a high
efficiency Hayden "Wirl Flex" fan, #37-18 with a 2" spacer #39-62. I'll try
that too!

JLC