Re: Fitting new panels (part 3 of 3)

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fitting new panels (part 3 of 3)
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 19:29:46 -0400
At 09:48 PM 9/11/2007 +0000, you wrote:

>3.  Door hinges- in order to judge how much to grind off the roof flange at
>the hinge opening, I reinstalled the hinges and the shims to their original
>positions.  Sure enough, at the top of their swing, two of them (left front
>and right rear) scrape against the top of the new roof just like they did on
>the old roof.

The hinges can open quite wide and probably hit the roof.  Did the scrap the
roof with the doors on?  That is one of the problems with the doors.  They
don't quite open high enough.  The reason is that the edge of the door
(closest to the roof) will dig into the roof if the doors are opened too
far.
So the rams are actually a little shorter than they could be.  To keep the
door from diging into the roof.

Chris Ingrassia made a metal roof panel, and made a groove for the door to
open into so that his doors will open very very high and you can walk under
them without having to duck.  But that's not really an option for originallity
and a lot of work to manuacture the V piece to put in the slit if you cut one
in the roof panel.

>By taking 2-3 of the shims out of each one, I can get them to clear the
>roof, but now I'm worried that by raising the hinge a bit, I'll also be
>raising the door enough so that it won't fit properly.

I'd say don't worry about that too much right now.  You need to get the roof
square and centered on the birdcage.  Then start with the doors.  I don't
think I used the same number of shims that I took out on my doors. You'll
have to adjust the door to the roof line once the roof is on the car.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, you may have to trim the roof panel at
the rear quarter panels, depending on how you took the roof off.  Did you
leave the 2 ears on the quarter panels, or did you cut them off when you
removed your roof?

>Have any of you had to change the number of door shims and if so, was there
>a substantial and adverse change in the fit of the door??

Yes, and Yes.  I did have to change the number of shims that were under my
hinges, and yes it does change the door fit.  You want to adjust the door
without the skin on it.  The bond flange on the door should be about 3/16"
below the roof line.  This will allow for the thickness of the door skin to
align with the roof panel.

Hope this helps.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229