Selling/buying a car

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Selling/buying a car
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2007 19:36:11 -0400
Gang,

I've got a question.  My dad is selling his '48 TR1800.  A fellow in FL.
has given dad a check for the car.  So far so good.  Dad is sitting on
the car until the check clears the bank.

But.

I keep hearing about all these scams with checks and cashier checks that
really aren't any good.  You deposite it in your account, and the give
the person the merchandise.  Then in 2 mo.s or so, the check bounces
even though your bank said it cleared.  Then your bank comes at you for
the money.

Hope you all understand what I'm trying to say.

Anyway, what is be best way around all these scams?  I realize that for
some things like eBay there are escrow accounts.  We didn't check to see
if the bank could provide an escrow account before this all started.

I realize that cash is probably the way to go.  But I'd sure hate to walk
down the street with $5K, $10K, $20K etc in my pocket.

So I'm wondering what you all have done if you've sold a car or bought a
car to an individual reciently.  If you know the person, then that's kind
of a different story.  If they have a house, etc.  But to sell a car to
a stranger from out of state.  Boy things are getting very interesting and
scary.  You really have to protect you own butt.

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229