Computer crash - long!

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Computer crash - long!
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:59:04 -0500
At 01:55 AM 3/18/2006 -0500, Paul J. Amoroso wrote:

>Regarding the backups - an external hard drive via USB port is a good
>consideration because it can be stored in a fireproof safe, away from fire,
>storms, floods, etc.   And it can also be automated, as long as the drive
>is turned on and ready to go when the software tells the machine to
>back-up.  If there are relatively small files that need backed up, a
>data-key (AKA memory card-drive, AKA USB drive, AKA thumb-drive, etc.) can
>be used, coming in at very affordable prices these days.

Paul,

You make a very good point!  Especially with the size of HDs these days.
It turns out that my HD is down hard.  From what I can tell, it has to
do with the software structure in the drive.  I've replaced the drive
and restored my software.  Total down time less than 3 days - of those
days, I had to work 2 and sleep all 3. :)  Loss of data - minimual -
less than 7 days mostly email.

Most of you really don't know me, other than seeing my name on a bunch of
email posts, and in the magazine both as Editor/Publisher and author.  So,
maybe I should tell you a little about my self other than the fact I've been
playing with cars since I was about 13.  I'll keep it very brief.

When I got out of the Navy, I went back to college.  I wanted a split degree
in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering.  The school said - no can do.  Pick
on.  So I went to the mechanical dept.  My senior yr (over 120hr - most
schools you graduated then - not the engr. school - 156 hr for grad.)  My
advisor was the head of the dept.  So I told him I wanted to sub. some EE
courses for my ME courses.  After a long talk, he approved it.  So I ended
up with a BS in Engineering, minors in Mechanical Engr, Electronic Engr,
Math, and Physics.  Then to work.  I worked in Communications, Sonar, and
simulators.  I worked for 7 yrs as an Electronic Engr. for the US Navy in
computer contolled simulators dealing mostly with super-minis.  I started
going to grad school in Computer Science in about '80.  In 84, I moved to
a command that did office automation software for the Navy and been there
ever since.  Done all kinds of things and watch the computer industry
change.  I started programing in '68 in college (before I flunked out:) ).
Started with the computer hobby in '78 with the Radio Shack TRS 80s. I've
been a Ham Radio Operator since '64 and playing with cars since '66.

So now you have a better idea of who I am and where I came from.

As I watched the size of drives go up, I kept thinking about all the people
that don't understand them, and how they collect so much stuff and are so
proud of it.  How do they back their stuff up?  Back in the day of the 200
MB HDs and 600MB CDs that wasn't too much of a problem.  In fact I used to
ZIP my data and store it on ZIP disks.  But with my 40G drive, it takes
6+ CDs to do my backups.

I say for a long time, the only fast, econimical way is to have another HD.
for backups.  Then there is the problem of total backups vs incrementals.
Incrementals are a lot faster but recovery takes a lot longer.  However,
if you're doing this to a external USB HD. with a duplicate structure,
then that's not too bad.  The restore is mearly switch the HD and you're
back up.

The thumb drives are great as you point out for smaller files, like personal
financial stuff.

Everyone needs to think about their needs, what they store, and a directory
structure they like.  I personally don't like MS "MY xxx" structure.
Although my structure is pretty close to theirs.

Before everyone in the house got their own machine, I had multiple users.
So I started directories off the root for each user.  This predates MS
multiple users, so I've stayed with that.

Then for me I have 2 well 3ish directories.  My main directory is JTB
under that I have subdirs. for everything:
   CARS - with a subdirectory for every car, then subdirectories under each
          car for LOGS. articles, TECH, etc.
   I have copies of every letter I've written about any of the cars, back to
   about 1988 ish.

I also have a JTB-Static where I store pictures, sound and video clips etc.

Then of course Bricklin-Mag with subdirectories there for the current issue,
Source - which olds any articles waiting to be used. etc...

But as these directoies an subdirectories gets bigger, then I have to start
splitting things up when I back up to CD.  JTB-Static which contains the
pictures of my Bricklin, and others, plus all the other cars, family, etc
is about 1.7G

> If data is critical on the drive that went down, there are recovery
>services that essentially dismantle the drive in a clean room and with very
>sophisticated equipment pull the data off, attempting to preserve file
>structures, etc.  It all depends on how damaged the (magnetic) disk
>surface is.  If the drive just suffers from mechanical failure, but the
>disk surface is intact, possibly 100% is recoverable.

Fortunately, other than the magazine stuff, I don't think I really have
anything that critical.  Especially since I'm not a business.  Oh, yea,
there is all the stuff from PORN-R-US. :)

>Good luck, John.  I learned the hard way years ago.  Hope you don't have
>to.  Hope you can get your data.

Thanks Paul.  I think I have everything under control.  I'm back up now,
with a new 120G hd and the only data I lost was that I've generated in the
last 2 weeks (not much), and my Morgan web page.  Some how when I was
splitting up my webs directory across CDs, I didn't do my Morgan one.  I've
been working on that some lately.  I did have an older backup of it so,
I've got most of the off site into recovered and I can pull down the current
version.  So that's not too bad.

But let this be a warning to everyone out there - IT CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.
Lessons learned (currently and over the last 30 yrs of playing with these
stupid boxes):

1. When using any application - ie wordprocessor - save every 15 minutes.
   Or how ever much you're willing to re-type.

   a. DON'T just keep saving it either.  Every 2 or 3 saves, do a "Save As"
      and change the name, for example:  BI-Mag-Apr06.xxx then save it as
      BI-Mag-Apr06-1.xxx, then BI-Mag-Apr06-2.xxx

      That way if a copy gets corrupt, you have others to fall back on.
      This is called GrandFather-Father-Son.

2. Think of your own logical file structure for your files.  The more places
   you have to go to find data, the hearder it is to back it up.

3. Keep records in something like cardfile, notepad, a word processor, of
   many key items that become hidden and in the registry.  For example:
   I use WS-FTP to update my Morgan web site.  I don't know the URL of the
   site, my user ID or my Password.  That was all in the data for that
   utility.  Luckily I had that data in cardfile.

   Keep redundent records on things that aren't hidden.

4. If you like me, older and very forgetful, get a program to manage your
   passwords.  I've to webserver, banks, various forumns, etc that I belong
   to - both for work and at home.  About 64 different items for home!  I
   can't remember all those accounts.

   If you are interested in the password program, email me privately, and I'll
   send you a copy - it's free ware.

5. Keep redundant information - Have you changed your router's default userid
   and password?  What about your WEP key for your wireless network?  I've
   used CARDFILE since Windows 3.2 for stuff like that (in addition to the
   password program.  There is a freeware program now that is 32bit, better
   for the new OSs.  Again if you are interested in this, email me privately.

6. Find out where programs save "their" data and how to back it up. For
   example:

      a. both the original card file and the new cardfile, by default they
         store their data in their directory.  This can be confusing when you
         try to back up your system.  So try and move their data file to
         someplace you control - like your own directory.

      b. My wife has a CookBook program.  It saves its data in it's directory.
         The nice thing about this program is you can set the number of times
         you use the program before it prompts you to back it up.  You can
         control where the backup goes.  Send it to your directory.

7. Did I say keep redundant data?  I have a directory called SAVE where I
   keep backups of a lot of the data from other programs, such as:  my
   BookMarks from my browser, backups of my password programs data, my card
   file data, etc.  Again, I know this directory and it's backed up all the
   time.  In fact, I used to send copies of the data in there to work!

8. Backup your HD at least once a month, once a week is better.  Depending on
   what you do with your computer and how much data you have stored on it,
   get one, preferably 2 external HDs.  Mark them "even" and "odd".  Then
   once you set your backup schedule weekly or monthly, you can use the odd
   drive if it's an odd week (the 1st, 3rd or 5th) and the even for the even
   weeks.

9. Important files: personal finance, the Bricklin Database, etc.  KEEP
   a redundant copy OFFSITE!  You have to be the judge of the risk factors
   you have in regards to data loss, HD crash, fire, etc. and how important
   the data is to you or someone else.

So, if you have become dependant on your computer, please think about what
happens if it dies.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229