Re: Reproducing plastic parts

To: "bl" <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Reproducing plastic parts
From: "High Tech Coatings" <rick@hightechcoatings.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 06:48:06 -0400
If you have a "gennie" sample, take it to a place that does rapid 3D
prototyping They can scan it, and "print" on out in a matter of minutes.
This process used to be very expensive but is now reasonable. If you want to
do a small run of parts you can use silicone molds and casting resin. There
are also plastics that melt at very low temperature that you can use for
some parts and repairs. As for plastic welders, The expensive ones mostly
work very well if you use the proper filler material, The cheaper ones use
hot air to heat the plastic and the air oxidizes the plastic and makes it
brittle. If you are trying to repair some small cracks I usually just use my
trusty old Weller soldering gun with a cutting tip to melt it all back
together. I've even used other broken parts as fillers
Rick