Re: door latch solenoid replacement

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: door latch solenoid replacement
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 18:59:47 -0400
At 01:39 PM 7/9/2005 -0400, David Dal Bianco wrote:

>I have all the T fittings, etc. but if you know where I can get a photo,
>or an instruction sheet, I'll go that route.

I didn't have any real instructions.  It's not that complicated.  The only
hard part will be to connect the power to the solenoid.  The wire from the
solenoid ends up getting soldered/connected to the up solenoid in the
air dist. well.  The ground connection (the 2nd wire) can be grounded almost
any where, like to the bolts that hold the base of the lift ram to the metal
cross brace at the "B" pillars.

>Does everyone experience the unlocked latch on the doors as they are
>descending?

Originally I didn't have the addition "bleed" valves on my car. Nor did
I really have the latch plates in.  But as I closed the doors, without the
skin on, I could see that latches firing.  So I opted to get the additional
"bleed" valves (solenoids).

>Should I attempt to fix my electric solenoid instead?

That's up to you.  However, it's almost impossible to get the wire out
without removing the door skin, unless the skin has delaminated at the
top back of the door.

>What would you suggest in my case?

Since you've got the parts for the Air door latches, I'd put them in.
The electric latch solenoids, don't have as much pull as the air ones
do, the are prone to problems - wire breaking, bad grounds, etc.

>I tried to fish a new wire through the door to replace the original one
>(which was disintigrating), and found that it was very difficult to do.

Yup, been there, done that, and didn't have any success.  If they hadn't
of put that connector on the wire up in the roof area, it would be
possible to replace the wire by pulling it out the bottom of the door.
With a new wire taped to the old one, it should be possible.  But the
connector is too big to pull back through the hole, you can't get to it
to unlock it from the mating connector.  Nor can it slide down past window
channel if you try and pull it out the bottom.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229