Re: door latch solenoid replacement

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: door latch solenoid replacement
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 20:00:03 -0400
At 03:49 PM 7/8/2005 -0400, David Dal Bianco wrote:
>I am experiencing the usual electric door latch solenoid problems that I
have read about in the past.  No matter what I do, the solenoid just won't
pull in enough to open the latch on the driver's side.  I have some parts
of an air latch release system ( two small air cylinders and 1/8" air
hose), but I don't have any instructions for it, or know what other parts
go along with the kit.

>Could someone let me know where I could look for a schematic, or any
information to properly install the air latch release system?  Any advice
would be greatly appreciated.

Dave,

The air latch solenoids go in the door, where the electric solenoids are
located.  You may have to open up the mounting slot on the ear on the
door frame.

The air line gets routed from the latch solenoids put the door, through the
roof, down the "B" pillars and "T" into the air supply lines for the lift
rams.

Now, that's all the parts you say you have.  If that's the case, you'll run
into a small problem.  When the doors are closing, the weight of the door
closing actually pressurises the air lines as the doors are closing.  This
in turn will cause the latch solenoids to open.  So when the door closes,
that latches are actually open and may not close on the latch plate's
"D" ring.

To prevent this, there are 2 options:

a.  As the door closes, you will have to put your knee out a little and hold
the door open until all the air is out of the line, and then let the door
close the remaining couple of inches.

b. Terry sells an additional set of electric control solenoids, that actually
mount on the lift rams.  These solenoids get tied, electrically, to the 2
open solenoids in the air dist. panel.  When you open the doors, these
solenoids fire and let air to the latches.  But unlike a regular solenoid,
when they close, the bleed off the air in the charged line to the latch
solenoids.

   I'm not sure what they are going for now.  Last time I talked to Terry
the company he was buying them from had merged with another company and
raised their prices.

Phone:  (757) 495-8229