Re: redesigned web page

To: colemaal@hotmail.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: redesigned web page
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 12:03:47 EST
Alan,

I am certain that we all appreciate the efforts of Steve, Michael, John, etc.
who volunteer their time to work on this.  Obviously a lot of work went into
it.  Therefore I don't want to be overly critical or too demanding, and I hope
they are not offended.

I agree with you 100%.  I made an earlier suggestion to keep the parts
cross-reference simple as well, which I will reiterate.  The searching is a
nice
feature, but if I might suggest that is less of a priority.  After all, every
word processor and web browser does have built-in search function.  If all the
data are displayed on a single page, one can simply use the built-in search
function.

With the old list, I could not only save it to my computer and print it out,
but also load it onto my Palm handheld computer so it was always with me in
case I needed a part.  There have been a couple occasions when having it on the
Palm has come in handy (..as anyone who knows me can attest, the only time it
is not on my person is in the shower).

As an alternative, I propose making the database downloadable as a file,
either a copy of the SQL Server file, or exported to Access or even an Excel
readable format.  (The data would not need to be normalized.)  In that way,
those
who want to create their own reports could do so using the parts data.
Hopefully it would not be asking too much to add a download link, or even
display all
the data in a table on a single web page which would allow one to copy and
paste it into a database and create a report.  If I create a report from the
data I will share it with the club.

Thanks for the work on the parts database and I hope this does not sound
harsh, because but that is definitely not the intent.

George