Replacing ignition switch

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Replacing ignition switch
From: Isensee@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:05:27 EDT
I replaced the ignition switch on my Bricklin recently and thought I should
describe the steps in case anyone else needs to do it in the future.

The ignition switch for a '75 Bricklin is AC Delco D1405B. I assume the '74s
use the same switch, but I can't say for sure. It is a common switch in GM
applications and is easy to find. It only cost me about $12 and my neighborhood
parts store had it in stock.

Here is a picture of the switch:
http://www.rockauto.com/ref/ACDelco/D1405B.jpg

The switch isn't located near the lock cylinder as you might expect. Instead,
it is on the top of the steering column about half way down between the
steering wheel and the firewall. A rod runs from the lock cylinder to the
switch to
activate it.

Disconnect the battery cable before starting work on the switch.

You'll need to lay on the floor with your head down near the brake pedal to
see the switch. It is tight quarters. You could remove the seat if you need
more room, but I got by without doing that.

Remove two 3/8" screws that hold the switch to the steering column.

Lift the switch up until it comes free from the metal rod. There is nothing
attaching the rod to the switch, it is just press fit into a hole in a plastic
portion of the switch. There isn't much room to move the switch so it will
take some trial and error to get the switch moved enough to come free of the
rod.

Now you should be able to move the switch down beside the steering column so
that you can see the electrical connectors. There are two connectors to
remove. One overlaps the other so pay attention which ones comes out first.
They
will need to be attached in the reverse order.

The new switch will probably have a plastic pin in it holding the switch in
one position. Remove this pin.

Attach the electrical connectors.

Move the switch back up to the top side of the steering column and push the
metal rod into it. Again, this isn't easy and will take some persistence.

Attach the switch to the steering column with the two screws. The screws go
through slots in the switch to allow its position to be adjusted. I could see
the outline on the steering column of where the original switch was located and
I lined the new one up in the same spot. That worked fine and I didn't need
to adjust it.

Reattach the battery cable.

Enjoy a reliably starting Bricklin!

Scott Isensee