RE: BIs forum

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: BIs forum
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:43:07 -0400
At 07:54 AM 8/26/2004 -0500, Edward Canterbury wrote:

>I think having a pen name or alias is part of the territory.  Personally I
>use the same name all over the internet, so in a strange way people do
>"know" who I am precisely because I use it.  Try not to let it bother you.
>You'll soon find that you know folks by their handle.

Edward,

This isn't directed at you, it isn't ment as a personal attack at you or
anyone - just one of my pet peeves, so please don't take offense.  It's just
that you replied privately to my email, so I'm using it as a platform try and
get my point across (on of my pet peeves).   Mainly that I don't mind people
having an alias, I just wish they had signatures with real names and
locations
(city & state).

I understand the concept of alias', having been a Ham Radio operator for some
40 yrs now.  Our call signs (mine is WA4OHZ) and the shortened phonetic
version (again me - Over Heated Zebra) is very common.  (Notice why I chose
Zebra in my example.)

However, as Hams we have a "Call Book" or database on the net, where we can
look up people by their call sign.

The problems I have with the alias' on the forum are:

1. We are supposedly trying to help each other.  If I don't know where you
   live, and you don't know where I live, that can be a hinderance.  For
   example Jim1191 and jblair.  How is Jim1191 and who is jblair.  Well
   since my email address is jblair1948@cox.net, it's a good guess that I'm
   jblair.  Also my profiles on the forum have my address and phone #.  But
   what about Jim1191.  I don't know if the users can see someone elses
   profile (I have admin. permissions to the forum so I can).  Someone might
   try looking at the profile for Jim1191.  Anyway, turns out that Jim1191
   lives about 15 mi. from me.  Needless to say we are pretty good friends.
   But there is an example that without a roster, and or signature files
   we don't know who or where someone is.  How many John's, Bob's, Steve's
   and or Dave's are there on the mailing list or forum?

2. Many people have used the alias as the "real name" in their profile.
   They don't have their address, or at least city and state.  So I have no
   way of beginning to identify them.

3. Most people don't have a signature file that gives their real name,
   VIN, and city and state.  The way I remember if I have had a lot of
   correspondence with someone is by something distinctive and or unusual
   in their sig. file.  I get too lost in Eds, and Bobs.

4. Many don't have their VINs listed in their alias or the personal info
   in their profile.

5. I maintain the Master Bricklin Registry.  A listing of all known cars.
   With the alias' only, no additional names, VIN, City or States, I can't
   begin to tell who's who, if I really know them from either a face to face
   at one of the meets, or email - either private or from the mailing list;
   much less tell if we have them in the database, or if they are club
   members.

<rant off>

Phone:  (757) 495-8229