Re: air system

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air system
From: GLCurley@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:49:02 EST
In a message dated 3/31/2004 9:51:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dvmkkm@adelphia.net writes:

> Out of curiosity what puts hydrolic fluid back in it's holding tank?  Maybe
> 2 tanks could be used somehow...A small tank of higher pressure and a larger
> tank with more volume or something.

One of the principles of hydraulics is the non-compressibility of fluids.  A
hydraulic system does not contain stored potential energy like compressed air
does.  It is the pump (manual, electric, etc) that forces the hydraulic fluid
against a piston.  The fluid does not have to return to a higher state of
energy after it is pumped.  In an air system the pre-compressed expanding air
pushes the piston.  You could theoretically "catch" the air and make a
closed-loop
air system but something would have to compress it again to get it back into
the tank--a higer state of potential energy.  Since unlike in a submarine,
there is air all around hence no need to recycle it.

> Since the door weight is not sufficient to do this you'd need
> something to compress the air, thus an air compressor.  Of course if you do
> figure out a method that does not require additional 'work' (work=force x
> distance), you will have invented a perpetual machine and I'd be very happy
> to be your business partner.

The door weight could compress the air if you pumped it up and down a few
times, like a pump-action air rifle.  Here is another idea: mount a pump pedal
on
the floor next to the brake.  Then you could pump up the air tank with your
foot while you drive around.  Hmm..

George