RE: Engine Swap ... penny for your thoughts

To: "'Steve Owens'" <go2toa@hotmail.com>, <bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine Swap ... penny for your thoughts
From: "SGS" <gschiro@lni.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:01:48 -0500
I'm swapping in an '87 Chevy roller cam small block with TPI induction.  The
Chevy block is physically smaller than the AMC.  Since I plan to use my B as
a daily driver I wanted better mileage than the AMC could deliver.  I looked
at a number of engine options and picked the Chevy because of the ease of
the swap and better performance and mileage.

The engine is currently at the machinist being balanced and blueprinted.  By
my calculations it will produce 300 hp and about 300 ft lbs of torque which
is more than adequate for my needs.  I am also changing the 3 speed auto 727
for a 5 speed manual world class T5.  The new engine and transmission will
weigh about a hundred pounds less than the original.

The engine plus trans is shorter than the original so the drive shaft needs
to be longer.  I picked up a Camaro drive shaft that should bridge the gap
once I install the AMC 20 rear spline and is already set up at the T5 end
with the right spline.  I'm still debating whether to go with cast iron rams
horn exhaust manifolds or tube headers.  My current task is to fabricate the
engine and trans mounts using a spare block as a template.

I have the advantage of doing this swap with the car completely dissembled.
It's a lot easier than working on a complete car as there are many
measurement to make and very little room to work in otherwise.

Good luck with your swap.